Hi Foxy People!
I hope you are having a blessed Sunday! I wanted to give you an essential recipe that I believe everyone should have in their fridge or freezer at all times. Stock! Vegetable Stock to be exact. It’s great for the fall time when you want to make soups, add flavor to rice or flavor to chili.
Take a look at this Vegan and Vegetarian recipe below. As always, feel free to like, share, or comment about this recipe. You can follow me on Instagram @foxyveggies.
© Copyright 2016 Foxy Veggies – All Rights Reserved
Ingredients for Mirepoux (standard medley base of carrots, celery, and onions for all stocks)
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Celery Stalk
- 1 1/2 Yellow Onion
- Cold Water that covers the vegetables
Ingredients for Sachet (cheesecloth spice packet)
- A small bunch of Parsley Stems
- 1 tsp of dried Thyme
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp of Black Peppercorns
- Square of Cheesecloth
- Twine to tie the sachet
- Take your onions and dice them and give your celery and carrots a rough chop. Feel free to add the onion peels as well. They add flavor to the stock. Please remove the skin that may appear to be molded.
- You should have more onions compared to the celery and carrots.
- Take out a big stock pot and add in your vegetables.
- Add the cold water to the pot so that it covers the vegetables.
- Then, take your cheesecloth square and put your Black peppercorns, Parsley stems, Thyme, and Bay leaves to the center of the square. Take all ends of the cheesecloth to make a bundle and twist. Secure it with the Twine leaving enough Twine length to tie to your stock pot handle.
- Drop your Sachet in the pot with the water and veggies and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, turn to low and simmer for an hour. Skim the top if foam rises to the top.
- Once done, strain out the veggies and cool the stock in an ice water bath.
- Portion out in quart bags and you have stock you can freeze and grab out when you need it.
© Copyright 2018 Foxy Veggies LLC – All Rights Reserved