Vegetarian (2 individual servings)
- 2 cups of Chickpea Elbow Pasta
- 1 cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk
- ¼ cup of All-Purpose flour
- ½ cup of Smoked Applewood Gouda Cheese
- ¼ cup of Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ cup of Triple Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp of Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp of Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp of Oregano
- 1 tsp of Parsley
- ½ tsp of Salt
- Fresh Basil for garnish
- In a medium pot, bring cold water to a boil and add in your elbow pasta. Allow the pasta to cook for about 7 minutes or until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking get a small pot. Turn the heat to medium and add in the vegan spread.
- As the spread is melting, mince your garlic and add that into the pot as well.
- When the garlic starts to turn golden brown, with a small whisk (or fork), add in your flour. Continuously whisk and the flour should make a paste. Only do this for about 10 – 20 seconds. Slowly pour in your almond milk and seasoning while still whisking everything. The goal is to have all of the flour bits gone.
- Turn the heat down to low for the sauce. This is when you should add in each of your cheeses one by one. Save half of your gouda cheese to use at the end for topping. The key is to completely melt each cheese into the sauce before adding in the next cheese. The end result should be a creamy, cheese sauce without any lumps. (If you want this to be Vegan, substitute with vegan cheddar & mozzarella shreds.)
- At this time, the pasta should be ready. Drain pasta, add it back into the medium pot. Pour your cheese sauce into the pot with the pasta and coat all the pasta. (At this point you can either bake your mac and cheese for a crispy topping at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes with the additional gouda cheese or you can serve as is.)
- Finish your dish with the gouda and freshly chopped basil.
© Copyright 2019 Foxy Veggies – All Rights Reserved