- 2 Portobello mushroom caps
- 1 cup of Arugula
- 1 cup of Tomato & Basil Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 cup of Panko Breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup of All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp of Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp of Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp of Oregano
- 1 tsp of Parsley
- ½ tsp of Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ tsp of Salt
- Vegetable Oil
- Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Additional Salt and Ground Black Pepper for taste
- Take 3 bowls out. Put your panko in one bowl. Mix in all the seasonings except for the garlic in the panko crumbs bowl. Put your almond milk in another bowl and the flour in the last bowl.
- Wipe off your mushrooms with a damp paper towel, then coat each side with extra virgin olive oil and a little salt and pepper.
- Dredge your mushroom caps by dipping them in the flour, then dipping them in the almond milk, then finishing them by pressing them in the panko crumbs. This will be your little assembly line for the mushrooms. Use one hand for the panko and flour and the other for the almond milk.
- In a medium sized pot, add in enough vegetable oil to go halfway up the sides of the pot. Turn the heat to about medium high or until you start to see waves at the bottom with the oil. (You may have to adjust the heat levels during the cooking process.)
- Take one mushroom cap and slowly drop it in. Cook on each side for about 4 minutes or until it is golden and crispy. Cook the mushroom caps one at a time. When ready, take the mushrooms and drain off the excess oil on paper towels.
- During that time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Take your garlic cloves and mince them. In a small sauce pan, turn the heat to medium and add about a tablespoon of olive oil at the bottom. When hot, add in your garlic. When you see the garlic turn a golden brown, slowly pour in your marinara sauce and brown sugar. Turn the heat to low and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Once the sauce is done, take a baking sheet and coat the bottom with a little of the sauce. Add your mushrooms on top of that. Coat the top of the mushrooms with the rest of the sauce. Top with the parmesan cheese and arugula. (If you want this to be vegan, substitute the parmesan cheese with vegan mozzarella shreds.)
- Bake for about 5 minutes and enjoy!
© Copyright 2019 Foxy Veggies – All Rights Reserved